Monday, October 28, 2013

October Poetry, Week 3

Day 15

Leaving

what it’s called when buds
form in spring? Leafing out,
what a girl is doing at puberty?
Leave me alone, 
just want to be left alone
door slams, dishes leaving 
the cupboards in a clatter. Leave 
the mess, go stand by her door. 
Just breathe there. Remember 
being left alone to sulk 
in your room? You, left 
not wanting to be treated as a child, 
warm cookies left by your bed after 
go to your room, young lady.
Don’t leave. Stay and breathe 
as if your sweet cookie breath
could leave something to warm her.




Day 16

She Dreams

She picks apples and corn
grown together on the same trees
behind the house where she lives;
She dreams so real
that nature dreams with her,
so real she rises from sleep 
to pick corn with her right hand, 
apples with her left.  Under the trees,
a fox mother and her kits eat apples 
with chickens from the yard next door.
She picks dreams like apples, like corn,
goes into the sky to harvest 
every dream every dreamt in baskets
made by her grandmothers. And at the end,
when no more dreams can be dreamed,
she will watch other dreamers 
dreaming how she picked apples
and corn, sisters growing together on trees.




Day 17

Periodic Table

I am 70%
2 molecules hydrogen, 
1 molecule oxygen, carbon-based 
organism with a splash 
of sulfur, nitrogen. 

I used to be 
periodic, heme molecules
pouring from my body, water
and wine of childbirth.

I am 100% 
woman, except 
for the traces of testosterone
intended for balance
and passion. 

I am 30% 
sure at any given moment 
that my life is perfect, 
20% that it is a mess,
50% pure chemistry.

So if even if no one else cares
even 1%  about the numbers,
I’ll spend 100% 
of the rest of my life
giving thanks for all of it.




Day 18

Fall and What’s Coming

It starts:
a sniffle, a sneeze —
into my sleeve?
Mom always said don’t 
wipe your nose on that,
but now it’s where
to deposit the phlegm
the snot, the germs
that fly when it comes
to a cold. Dad used
a steaming pot of water,
a towel draped over his head.
Mom smoothed Vapo Rub
on our chests, covered
with squares of flannel.
As a child, my husband used 
to eat it. All that menthol
cannot have been a good idea.
So what’s the plan
for all the ooze a cold brings?
It’s starting: a sniffle,
a bit of scratch in the throat,
and me with bare arms still.
Fall, and what’s coming 
has no place to go. 




Day 19


Weez

I saw the name again
game challenge, social media 
game: invite a random opponent
there it was: Weez.

You told me 
you were waiting to die, 
a tick tock of consequence
ready to go off inside.

Then I heard you’d run
away with a nomad guy
a no-good, a ruffian
who lured you west.

Did the you, Weez, die
to us for him? Did you give
all your things away
and go off, like the old ones

who walk into the woods
and wait? Did you find magic
and now you are a ghost
online, waiting for a game?

Weez, not such an ordinary name
for not an ordinary girl. 
Are you haunting me 
for not trying to make you live?



Day 20 

She was right: 

Carole King singing 
making me cra-a-a-azy, 
anticipation
of you, your coming late
to my door, softly rapping
and me opening to you
in the dark. Butterflies, bees
wait for dark too, dark
for making cocoons, honey.
Greedy anticipation
heat surging up the stairwell,
we never thought to ask
if this is right, proper. 
Instead we honey each other 
like bees, as if extinction
is the only other choice.
Years, years, and years later
we know anticipation
is not enough. Making me crazy.




Day 21

Verboten

Spitting on the sidewalk,
not scrubbing the sidewalk 
on Saturday morning, sidewalk
graffiti in München, sidewalk
a scared space where we all walk,
Volksplatz for walking.

Ist verboten. 



No comments:

Post a Comment