Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July Poetry, Week 3


Day 15


You Are Stardust
I see a comet of colors sweeping by 
in my garden, a peacock with a fiery tail; 
I see the glitter of the mollusk’s trail
over blades of grass that once were stars
you longed for when day broke 
the spell of night, its salmon face 
beaming light. This is the history
of our lovely rock, our teeming oceans
that lie upon the shore, running away
then returning like a pensive child
rejects its toy only to miss it sore.
We’re all related: snail & star,
blade of grass & peacock’s tail.
It’s a dialogue between mirrors.
We’re shadow and man come together 
after daylight when the sun is long, then goes
like tide and melody, like you and stardust.




Day 16 



The Room

Whatever it’s called, 
I like sitting there, or seeing it
from another room, frail light seeping
in from behind thin white curtains
to coat everything with itself.
I say it’s my pretty room, my soft
place, my blue cloud room, yet I cannot
name it well enough. I sit in it and feel 
the fizz of tide against my ankles, 
the crush of surf against my waist. If I lose
myself here, I can always find myself
rolling up on a beach like a shell,
filled with something delectable.
If I cup my hands over my ears,
if I blow breath out slowly, if 
I let myself drift on the silence
of the sunset, I am not afraid
to paddle out beyond the offing,
to wait for what might come.
Whatever it’s called, it calls me.
In the company of silence, I hear it.
I’m still thinking about you
when the eighth wave comes 
with its delicate belly, its lip
of foam. I’m still thinking about us
when the roar of the wave pulls
me under the way you always do
when we find love
has no limits or borders. No matter
what it’s called, this room, I sit in it 
and find the beginning of everything.





Day 17


Beached

Up it comes, rising in the storm like a ghost
from under the beach where boys and girls
make castles with pails of wet sand,
where teens learn about magnetism
in bikinis and speedos, where the aroma
of suntan oil and salt reign
over every summer day. Up it comes,
this pincke’s skeleton cared for by the sea
in thanksgiving for its rescues off shore.
That’s a pink, said Captain Dean,
nothin’ like ‘em to nose in and out
of a rocky coast.* The historical society
issues a stay away, itching on its own
to take souvenirs, just a few slivers 
of town history for display. 
Days from now, the pincke will vanish
into the sand again, hiding her secrets, her bones
trembling with every footfall overhead.


* lines from Kenneth Roberts’ novel, Boon Island 
[NOTE: I would not say "rocky coast" in one of my poems if it were not a quote]




Day 18


To a Pair of Old Poets

I’m reading Bly, listening 
like a donkey, ears flapped open,
waiting for a poem. My eyes are closed.
I see Donald Hall, old — with legs 
like a young poet — striding
across New Hampshire, pages
crammed into his pockets, shoved
into the waistband of his old man pants.
No one would confuse Bly with Hall,
mix up their lines, no one but me.
In my donkey state, they become one poet, 
all wood smoke, pine needles, & grump.

I’ll read Hall tonight, summon
ghosts, church singing, farmhouse attic
smells. Off in the woods, Iron John 
will beat a drum, make poems 
for all the wild hairy men who don’t. 
I’ll give up on which poet wins at cribbage,
which poet cares about life after death. I’ll go
on writing until morning, digging ditches
with no hope of treasure. If Ben the librarian
calls to say my book is overdue, I’ll say
it’s due after the last poem in it knows
the difference between Bly and Hall.





Day 19


Dreamland

As the hand vanishes, the child appears
to miss something, can’t recall
the taste in her mouth as milk,
waits for nothing she doesn’t know
she wants. Like me, missing you.
It’s an itch just below my skin, 
the slight feel of a breeze
on my cheek, there a moment
then gone, leaving me 
to wonder if it was there at all. 
It’s your voice not on the phone 
when I swear I heard it ring just now. 
All that’s there is a cold call, request 
to do a survey that will change the world.
It’s the dream I had this morning
beneath my eyelids:
your hand on my breast,
my breast brimming with milk, 
tingling with the pull of your lips. 
Feed me you beg, I’m your baby.
I wake to a wet place on my pillow.





Day 20



Sweet Territory

It plays again this evening:
in the mist of a memory, 
you wander on back to me, breathing 
my name with a sigh —
I feel young with you again, dancing 
in my parents’ living room,
them asleep upstairs, or not. I sing 
along with the music in my head, hear
you humming into my hair, feel 
your hand on the small of my back.
I am comforted by you, this 
younger version of you, 
in the sweet territory 
of silence, broken only by music.

The carrion artist works underground, works 
in darkness, is a thief.

When did you stop dancing? 
When did you stop singing? 
When did we stop?





Day 21


Travel Plans

Go to Holland, forget it isn’t Holland
now; look for fields of tulips
and windmills. Buy a copy 
of Hans Brinker for the trip. Book
a Rhine cruise from Amsterdam
to Basel; be the only one aboard
who speaks English; eat asparagus
with your fingers at the Captains Table; 
play cards until midnight, drink 
strange liquors in crystal glasses.
On the return train from Basel 
to Amsterdam, count your money —
save enough to buy tulips.
Open your English/Dutch dictionary;
practice saying, let a hundred flowers
bloom, and only one die.
Laat honderd bloemen bloeien, 
en slechts één bloem sterven

Go to Holland, forget everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment