Monday, July 8, 2013

July Poetry, Week 1


Day 1

Let’s talk a minute

If I could speak to you again,
this is how I’d begin:

I’d declare my independence
not so fiercely
as before, unleash myself
more gently from you
and not completely. A thin line
I’d hold, made of every word
you wanted me to have,
couldn’t get me to hear then.

I’d tether myself, loose
and easy, to your shirt pocket,
the one over your heart.
I’d pay attention
to your eyes this time, watch
for the small lift of the corners
that say I’m just trying to teach you.

I’d avoid being willful, 
wait until you finish your thought,
consider your experience.
No more making a face
when you say no, and trust me, 
little girl, it’s for your own good.

I might even ask for advice
now that I have the grown-up life
you warned me about,
that I felt certain I could handle
without your interference.

Just like when I was two, face
in hands, elbows on the table,
I’d say again let’s talk a minute.
You’d be king of my world
again; I’d be the only thing you loved.
for my father




Day 2 

How like a winter hath my absence been
From thee, the pleasure of the fleeting year!
What freezings have I felt, what dark days seen!
What old December’s bareness every where!

— from Shakespeare’s Sonnet #97



Longing (variation on a glosa)

What old December’s bareness everywhere
that opens me to love’s abandoned prayers,
for all the drawings on the frosted glass
are code for what could not be made to last.

What freezings have I felt, what dark days seen.
You stole away my heart, then killed its dream
and made me live forever without hope
as ghosts of kisses prickle on my throat.

From thee, the pleasure of the fleeting year
has faded me from happiness to drear,
will n’er be more than ashes on the grate
that flutter there as I in vain hope wait

for one who will not utter words of love.
I fade to dawn, hear croonings of the doves.
In sadness on the icy wire they keen:
How like a winter hath my absence been.




Day 3

Strayed

Five bars from a song
wakes me this morning, a melody
that played every day in the 60s,
that reminds me of a night
at the dunes in Perkins Cove. You
with your arms out asking me
to dance; me singing 
over chords the tide played.
It’s a stray thought, a lyrical 
wander through time that wakes me.
Where was I all night that this
should be where I am at dawn,
feeling the spray on my face, 
strayed from time into once upon a time?





Day 4

Ars Poetica # 34

She is the one
who gave birth to his sonnets, 
to the poems of night
he jerked out
like comets from the Milky Way,
bone-naked, bare 
of adverbs, conjunctions
used spare, joining the legs
of stanzas or the beats 
between ventricles. 
She spoke French, easy tongue
and quick fingers, her accent 
purely ballade, gestures stroking 
his lines into melody. So it is: careful 
love and poetry, shame 
and hesitation, points of light 
and the blood of stars 
drenching the page, the final couplet.
Why is the sky so sorrowed overhead?
The white rose dies easily as the red.





Day 5

Held

The sky holds centuries of clouds
in its bowl, like plums ready to burst
for their ripening. There is rain
like sorrow, ready to wash in 
when life seems too cheerful to remain.

The sea holds time too, hidden
in its caverns miles down, guarded
by blind fish and monsters so terrible
they would die of fright if enough light 
cast their shadows on the water.

In every tree there is a lineage
of the Only People, stepping out in twos
or whole families. Some say the sap 
holds the blood of thousands, sweet food 
for those born at every joined branch.

The sky holds centuries
of memories, some fallen down as rain.





Day 6


Monhegan #14
after James Fitzgerald

By night, fisherman snug
their dories, bump together in threes,
light torches to fool the fish
into thinking the sun is out. 
Curiosity deadly, they leap
onto the nets. Over pipe smoke
and lit cigars seiners ply their trade, 
easier than hauling trap in waters
far from home, gentler lapping
in the gut between Monhegan
and Manana, still water fired 
orange, red, & yellow
where tomorrow the mail boat
from Port Clyde will carry away
the catch, traded 
for real dollars and beer.
It’s a life to die for, a place
of fire and water and Saturdays
at the Grange with island women.




Day 7


Dorothy Behind the Curtain of Music

Earbuds pressed in tight, foot tapping 
to an invisible beat, she makes poems 
from shadows in the café. Watching 
moments from lives she doesn’t live yet, 
she finds lines, weaves webs
of story with dreary men drooling in caffeine 
and low intentions, women dressed too young
for real commitment. Her address changes 
with the weather, a kaleidoscope of clouds 
flashes overhead. Behind the curtain
of music no one else hears, she is voyeur
and designer. She dreams in French, 
wakes in lands of wizards singing odes. 
Momentarily out of action, she writes 
on the sidewalk with chalk, taps 
the heels of her ruby slippers, 
hoping to find the secret way home.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love Monhegan #14.
    What is the reference to James Fitzgerald?
    Dita

    ReplyDelete