Friday, June 21, 2013

June Poetry, Week 3


Day 15

Time

I want to kiss him again,
to move close enough to breathe 
his neck, the spice of cologne he used 
to wear when we sat for endless hours
in his car watching the beam from the light
sweep across the rocks, when we lay together
against the dune for what felt something like forever.
I want to tell him something that will make him stay.

I want to tell him something that will make him stay,
but the dunes have washed out to sea, the rocks painted
with other names. The light still crosses the beach
where we spent nights thinking there was time,
endless hours of kissing. His cologne wafts
there still as if by magic. Ghosts stride
close enough to touch, close
as a kiss once was.




Day 16

Half June

at the zoo, lazy
in the heat, captive lions
in cages dawdle over meat
thrown by keepers
without vacation time
who scratch their balls
not unlike the gorillas 
over in Enclosure #16.

Half June,
school just out, families 
frantic, driving the highways 
to get there, rush around,
cramming their vacay days
with adventure. At the zoo,
it’s lie-around-in-the-sun
time, watch-the-humans time.

Someone told me 
it’s all happening at the zoo:
Simon & Garfunkel holding a retro
concert by the monkey cages.
Skeptical orangutans keep time, 
grin that orang grin 
every time I do believe it
echoes off the bars. 

Half June,
and every day since May 
the zookeeper is loaded by noon, 
flask of rum on his hip, 
next to his stun gun, his walkie-talkie.
Moms and dads warn the kiddies:
don’t get too close, don’t 
think the bears are cuddly like Teddy.
These are wild & dangerous beasts who might eat you.

By half August, the human animals
will start heading back to their own cages.




Day 17

RSVP From a Friend
for Zibette

Wish I were there, but the peas go in today,
asparagus is nearly done and needs blanching.
I’ve weeds to pull, tomato plants to cage,
& every beet needs extra water to survive. 

You could send me an ocean breeze
to cool my garden & my sweaty brow.
Wish I were there, but you know what I must do 
just to face what’s coming way too soon.

Wish I were there, but the peas go in today
I send my regrets, that’s all that I can say.




Day 18

Modeling Suicide

Dressed to kill, well-paid, and chic,
these girls pretend they are Plath
or Woolf or Sanmao. In a fashion
spread for Vice, suicided
writers are en vogue today.
Kneeling before an open oven, 
wading too deep with a heavy stone, 
self-defenestration, gun in mouth, 
Oh just buy what we’re selling, won’t you?
Modeling suicide, role of models
to sell haute couture? Gilman’s model 
sits deadpan in front of yellow wallpaper, 
plays out her role as woman down,
chloroform handkerchief the latest 
accessory along with her designer rings. 
Wrists slit open at the sink, fashionable 
in her Parker-esque dress and pearls. 
For a dreamy-eyed young writer 
in the projects, I fear 
              post hoc, ergo propter hoc.





Day 19

Unpacking

Dishes in the sink scowl like faces 
of the children who pressed 
against our rental car
begging for bits of candy, pennies
to bring home to their mothers.
There’s dust on every table 
and sill. Ordinary life ticks 
welcome home 
from the kitchen clock. 

I am wearing the perfume
I found in the duty-free, scent
of paradise that will linger
in the dampness beneath my breasts
long after showers should have
washed it away. There’s magic
in it, an alchemy of paradise
that does not release me. 

We drag the suitcases
from the car, bump
them up the front steps, 
roll them over the threshold
as far as the front parlor.
Too late to bother unpacking,
we’ll sleep in our clothes, dream
of where we’ve been, of blue-green seas 
and flowering plants we cannot name.





Day 20

Sentence

If I’m to die, if you would kill
the poems in me, then poetry be done
in black weeds and shreds of chill
words be spoken as the ruddy sun
goes down. Needle readied, a cocktail
of poisoned ink, a glass of nepenthe right
here on the table for me to drink. The wail
you hear is me, raging against the dying light.
The pain of rejection I have felt each day
grows larger in the coming dusk, no more
will I write free of what jaded critics say
about what makes a perfect metaphor.
           If you sentence me to die to poetry,
           know this: poets' words live beyond me.




Day 21

Inside

In a velvet box, in a corner
of her suitcase, kept discreet
after all the years 
at Willard Asylum, years 
until she was no more, 
a silver rattle, engraved: 
Maire, b. 1898. Mama
Tears river my cheeks, wet
salt no remedy for wondering
about the baby girl, Maire,
lost to her mama, her mama 
lost too because her tears
would not stop on schedule, 
her heart would not heal in time 
to deem her sane. 
In tissue, a christening dress,
lace hearts at the hem,
pink ribbons frayed and old,
tiny velvet heart pinned to the bodice. 
Oh, Maire, where is your mama 
now? Is she holding you?

No comments:

Post a Comment