Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May Poetry, Week 3


Day 15


Sleep Study


Dear Pôgwas Kisos

Alnôbaskwagia. You walk
in dreams of grandmothers’
stories and of tomorrows
that are on the horizon. 
21 wires teleport streams
of breath and heart and brain
to a room outside, to a woman
who cannot read the streams
of ancestry we send. In her world,
numbers and graphs, data
to analyze. In our world, yours,
it is dreaming and spirit. Trees
outside the window watch
as you sleep, breathe their own
into you. Birds wake you
with songs of happiness, of 
going on, of carrying streams
of stories into the earth. Let others
tell stories from the wires. You say
what you hear in the dreams
we send, sieved through the webs
in the corner of the window.

NOTE: Pôgwas Kisos = Snow Moon
             Alnôbaskwagia = I am an Abenaki woman






Day 16



Dear Relatives,

Alnôbaskwania, I dream
at the riverbank, catch
news from fish, from polliwogs
becoming their new froggy selves,
from pebbles rolling down
the ages with moss tied 
to their waists. 

I wake to birdsong and wind thumps,
like the drum that leads us in dance. 
I wake and walk Ndakinna
with soft feet, singing 
a green corn song in the garden.

I wake with your breath on me,
your blood in me, your eyes open.

I give it all back with chapters added
to the story, make each night
a night of praise. Alôbaskwania.


NOTE: Alôbaskwania = You are an Abenaki woman





Day 17


Dear Embryo,

You of not quite feet and hands,
better off than a blastocyte,
not so safe as a near-term fetus, you
with cells flying off 
the chart in growth, you unnamed
DNA organizing into someone
who might be worshipped
by your family soon enough
or might be terminated 
as an inconvenience.
How is it that you raise
so much controversy
over what to do about you?
How is it that some want you
to be less of a burden
to society, you who cannot feed
yourself for another three years,
cannot buy or grow your own food
for another dozen plus? 
How is it that some will kill
over the right to eliminate you?
What’s up
with all the fuss 
over whether or not you get funded
for college, have to wait in long lines 
to vote, or have the right to marry
that other little boy embryo 
growing down the street in Mrs. James?
Are you nervous? Where is this all leading?





Day 18


Dear Vincent,

I’d write this as a sonnet in iambs
if I could make the rhyme fit nice and neat,
but my meter’s meter seems somewhat jammed
and I can hardly count the doggone feet.
Is it that I am growing tired or old,
or has my poet’s brain come down with flu?
I see my rhyme and meter have gone cold,
and I don’t really know what I should do.
What say you take a break and come to help,
bring me chocolate or something strong to drink,
rub my shoulders or massage my scalp.
Look at this mess; the thing is on the brink
of making me give up poetry for good.
(Go on, tell me now if you think I should.)




Day 19


Dear Poet-in-Training,

Who am I but another trudger
in between publications, thinking
to help you. My right hand
stiffens, my fingers go numb.
My feet tap under my desk 
the same as yours, my eyes burn, 
my energy sputters like the candle 
at midnight, same as yours. 

Who am I to say a phrase is dull,
a line too awkwardly unmetrical,
a metaphor over-used and trite?
Who told you I’d be of help?

Winds will keep soughing
the lilacs out side my window, 
pushing the scent in for comfort,
still I will crumple the pages
and start over a dozen times. Cats
will keep fighting in the street,
my lines too, dying
over and over from the struggle.

It’s a puzzle we do, fitting image
with verb, holding our breaths
for the final picture. 
Who am I and who are you? 






Day 20



The Apology


First

let me say  (to myself) 
it wasn’t my fault,
then let me say I’m sorry,
then I’ll wait for you to say it.

Next

after I’ve apologized, conceded,
you say how right you are (always),
then let me say: you are so sorry.

Finally

let me declare the ritual done,
the game over.





Day 21



The Apology, part deux


I need one,
something heartfelt, 
blood-red words 
from your lips. Say them.
Not too much to ask,
really simple: open 
your mouth and spill it.
Say you were wrong,
not that you were not
entirely right. An apology.
I can hold it, a heart
without an arrow; I can see
it carved into the willow
that shades the yard, that wept 
over every argument. 

The bedroom clock clangs
a bit off key. It won’t keep time.

1 comment:

  1. The poems this week are mostly dreamy poems that exist outside the "normal," waking world. They come to being in a world imagined by some, lived truly by others. The final two poems are poems of struggle between humans whose dream world may just be off in the weeds. Dreaming is not false worldly... it is other worldly.

    ReplyDelete